Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Malt Shop Cocktails

There are many
advantages to being me. I'm not bragging and I'm not lying - it's mostly great to be me. I wake up naturally almost every day. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I hear an alarm clock in a year. My life is deliberately simple so I am free to enjoy my activities and pursue my curiosities. I could go on, but you're getting the picture.

Since I've been serious about cocktails, my life has been filled with interesting challenges and delicious answers to these questions. I didn't expect it, but recently folks have been sending their products for me to try out. I'm pretty new at this, so I still feel bad when a thing just doesn't work out and I have to say something unflattering to a person who is, like me, out there hustling and trying to make a living. Some kind, sincere marketing person who has sought me out and offered to send me a present, hoping that I'll like it enough to tell somebody about my pleasure.

Sometimes, the product is wild and strange (remember the Fresh Cut Grass vodka?) and other times a little less exciting. This time around, however, the product really hit home with  me. If you follow cocktails, you know that soda-shop fountain cocktails are pretty hot right now. At first I was suspicious of this trend; it seemed a little like an extension of candy-flavored vodkas in its cultivation of our childish tendencies. Then the Universe sent me CTL Foods from right here in my home state. CTL Foods is based in Colfax, Wisconsin and they make malt powder. Malt powder differentiates an ice cream shake from a malt, and they act similarly to bitters in a cocktail. 

In a cocktail, bitters add depth but not much volume. So does malt powder. Bitters buffer the flavors of a cocktail, making them play a little nicer together. So does malt powder. Now, they cannot be used interchangeably, so don't get any weird ideas; but when you try your first well-executed malt cocktail you will know what all the soda-shop excitement is about.

If you live near a bar where these cocktails are sold, run there right now. Try a few and walk carefully back home. If you are a do-it-yourselfie like I am, order some here and try this one, pictured above.


Spicy Choco-Cherry Malted
2.5 oz. Almond Milk
1 oz. Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
.5 oz. Creme de Cacao
.5 tsp. CTL Foods Malted Milk Powder
2 ds. Aztec Chocolate Bitters

1 comment:

  1. Excellent. Your bar is so nice. I like your services which you provided. I have also a bar if you want any detail about Wedding bar hire hampshire then visit on our site www.hants-bars.co.uk

    ReplyDelete